When you and your husband basically spend the week suffering from the plague (flu), you do nothing all week and feel like a lazy blob. It all started a week ago, Friday. He started feeling badly first, then me and it was all down hill from there. We each took time off of work, drank our weight in powerade and tried to medicate as much as possible to try and take the edge off. By Tuesday I’d managed to shower and get out of bed. I rallied to make this recipe, which by the way was really good considering how awful we’d felt. I totally cheated and used one of our Hello Fresh deliveries as the recipe of the week, but it came with a recipe card and could easily be made by anyone who doesn’t subscribe to the meal delivery service. Just a couple of disclaimers:
- No, I’ve never done this before. I thought I was dying, so this was my one and only gimme during the semester.
- Yes, you actually have to prepare and cook it. It’s not pre-made.
I think I’ve said it before, I love all things pizza. This is pizza, but just very flat. Also, you’ve probably noticed I don’t cook a lot of stuff with meat. That’s because we don’t eat a lot of it. Overtime, we’ve cut it out more and more and eventually I’ll probably give it up all together. Personal reasons and health reasons, no animal cruelty reasons. I don’t love meat, so I figure, why keep eating it on the regular? Anyway, this flatbread is vegetarian, but full of flavor and super delicious.
- 1 yellow squash
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 oz basil
- 1 oz pine nuts
- 2 flat breads (ours were original flavor, but any would work!)
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Wash and dry all produce. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Halve squash lengthwise, then think slice crosswise into half-moons. Trim, then thinly slice scallions. Pick basil leaves from stems; discard stems.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add pine nuts and cook until golden brown and fragrant, 3-4 minutes, tossing frequently. Remove nuts from pan and set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add scallions and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add squash to pan and cook until soft and lightly browned, 5-6 minutes, tossing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place flatbreads on a baking sheet. Tear mozzarella into small pieces with your hands and scatter over flatbreads. Top with squash mixture. Bake in over until cheese is melted and flatbreads are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- One flatbreads are done, scatter with basil, pine nuts, and chili flakes (to taste.) Drizzle with honey. Cut into slices and serve warm.